During the JEF festival a lot of prizes will be awarded in different competitions. There are three main competitions, in which each jury selects their favourite films.
On the left you can find a summary of each competition with their respective awards and jury's.
Professional jury (ECFA Jury):
The competition section of JEF Festival 2020 presented youth films with a great variation of genres, narratives and styles. The jury would like to thank all the filmmakers for their contribution. Your stories moved us and amused us, but above all, they made us think. It was a privilege for us to see these strong and beautiful films but considering the wide selection it was also a challenge to choose the winners.
- Best feature film: Marona by Anca Damian (Romania, Belgium, France 2019)
"This magical travel into a dog’s life truly touched our hearts. It is a beautiful and clever story about life and death for all ages. The animation story telling is magnificent, with different tones and atmopheres in a fluid mix of animation techniques and styles representing the different faces in life of the main character. It is a comforting film that gives hope and meaning in a sometimes hard world."
- Best Short Film: I am not scared of the crocodile by Anna Solanas & Marc Riba (Spain, 2018)
“This is a funny and charming animation film about facing the universal feeling of fear. It surprises the audience with daring choices. The humoristic use of voice over creates space for own interpretation and imagination.”
- Beste Short Documentary: Bertha en de wolfram by Tijs Torfs (Belgium, 2020)
“This encouraging documentary about Bertha is inventive and intriguing in its form. The main character Bertha shows us how creativity can help both to fight a condition but also to share experiences with others. The use of animation adds an extra layer to the story by making the illness to a personage.”
- Best Feature Film: De club van lelijke kinderen by Jonathan Elbers (The Netherlands, 2019)
- Best Short Film: Teofrastus by Pärtel Tall en Sergei Kibus (Estonia, 2019)
- Best Short Documentary: Bertha en de wolfram by Tijs Torfs (Belgium, 2020)
- Best Medialab Installation: [Yojün] by Samy Barras & Romain Enselme (France)
"A real team game that you can play with up to 12 players. You can keep on playing this game infinitely. The choice between the two seperate games gives the player a lot of variety."
JEF in the hospital jury:
• Best Short Film: The kite by Martin Smatana (Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, 2019)
• Best Feature Film: De club van lelijke kinderen by Jonathan Elbers (The Netherlands, 2019)
Student Competition jury:
• In between by Veronique Lepoivre (Belgium, 2019)
JEF makers jury:
- JEF makersaward live-action: Onbereikbaar lekkers
A live-action/slapstick by Henri Lootens, Matisse Delbeke, Menatallah Alsotari & Dario De Smet (10 years) under the guidance of Teacher Davy Cloet of De Wingerd & De Zon
- JEF makersaward animation: De wijze wijsheden van Viggo en Senne
An animation film by Viggo Van Acker & Senne Hannaert (13 years) of the Arts Academy in Sint-Niklaas
- JEF makersaward public: Honger!
An animation film by Lou Beckers (10 years) and his father
The winners receive a JEF award and different cash prizes and guidance by TENTOO, Camalot and Option Media.